Next I picked out green fabric for the background, brown for the center and yellow for the petals. The brown had more white in it than I would prefer, but I think it turned out nicely. I counted the number of strips of green and yellow petals in my drawing to know how many to cut. And I cut out several extras so that I could play around with how things looked.
Once the I had a lay out that I like, I pined it the green background. Then I appliqued it on. To sew curves or turns on the applique, I keep the needle down, raise the foot, turn it, then lower the foot.
|Quilt top appliqued together.|
Once the top was done, I made a "quilt sandwich" (layer your quilt all together), pinned it and quilted it all together. This was the first time that I have quilted using anything other than straight line quilting. I used green thread because I wanted it to stand out against the yellow flower petals. I followed the lines of the green fabric, until I got to the flower petals. Then I followed the petals. This was the fun part for me!
I chose a pink, gray and green back ground fabric. I like to use the self binding method, mostly because it doesn't mean messing around with my nemesis, bias tape.
|I used the quilt to cover the top of nightstand in my room.|