Followers

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Great Tasting Energy Bars

*I was provided a sample of this product for my honest review.  This represents my first impression of this item.

As a runner for over 20 years, I have tried my fair share of energy bars.  From the classic old school bars, that were like eating a hard, gooey brick, to the newer bars that are more candy than anything else.  Today I tried New Millennium Energy Bars. They can be found on Amazon.

These were dense and did not go down like an energy gel would.  They did require some chewing.  They tasted great and are very sweet. The texture is a little gritty, but they did not have that fake taste that some energy foods can have. They contain 8 grams of protein and 32 grams of sugar. 



These bars come in 6 different flavors.  They are all fruit flavors.  A lot of energy bars and protein bars come in flavors like chocolate, which is my personal favorite.  These bars were pretty tasty, even if they weren't chocolate.  I tried the Raspberry flavor.  This bar looks like it would be hard, because of the way that it is packaged.  It is packaged to last for five years, so that makes it look hard.  It is not hard at all though.  It is soft and a little bit crumbly.

I think these bars would be perfect for keeping in your car, boat or emergency kit.  An emergency kit is something that I have been meaning to put together for quite some time now.  Since we live in the country, it is important for us to be prepared for anything.  These bars have 400 calories, which is a lot, compared to other bars.  Most candy bars have around 250 calories.  Of course, these keep MUCH longer than a candy bar.  They are also more of a meal replacement and that is why they are more calories.  Some situations you actually WANT more calories.


I would say that these would be fine for me to take on a long run, though I would be careful about eating this much sugar while running. (It can cause bathroom issues) You also want to make sure that you have enough water to properly digest these bars. They would fit into a larger pocket or pack.  They would also work well for hiking.  I would say that these are more crumbly than I am used to.  They left behind plenty of crumbs, which is something to keep in mind.

These do contain wheat, coconut, and soybeans, so if you allergic to those items, I would avoid them.  All in all, I found these to be tasty and an easy snack, especially if you are burning off lots of calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment