Followers

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My top ten running tips

The Open Road is calling you.









 Let me start by saying I am no expert.  There are tons of people out there who know way more about running than I do.  Who run much, much faster than I do.  I am just an old runner who has been enjoying the sport for over for a very long time.  
Can you run? Yes, you can!



1. The most important thing I can say about running is buy decent running shoes.  Go to a running shoe store and have them fit you and watch you run.  Buying cheap shoes or buying the wrong shoes is the best way to get injured.  And if you go in the store and try a bunch of stuff on and use the expertise of the people selling the shoes, buy them.  At least the first time.  Running shoe stores do not make money by giving out free advice.
 

2. Don’t give up!  It will suck when you first start.  Maybe even really, really suck.  But you are working toward a goal, be it weight loss or getting in shape, and it won’t always be easy.  Like all things that aren’t easy, it is worth it in the end.
 

3. Personally, I wouldn’t run in cotton if I could help it.  Get moisture wicking fabric if you can.  They sell it almost anywhere, including the cheapest of stores.

4. Be safe.  I don’t wear headphones while I run outside. I run on the side of busy roads, and I have to be to hear the cars.  Also, as a woman, I try to be aware of my surroundings when running. 
 

5. Protect your skin while you run.  I was young and stupid and didn’t wear sunblock.  Now I pay for it with wrinkles, freckles and fears about skin cancer.  Sunblock, a hat, sunglasses, all these things are worth the time and money.
 

6. Bug spray.  I run in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes I have to run in the grass.  DEET is the only thing stopping me from coming home with ticks.  Which are nasty. No one wants ticks.
 

7. Pay attention to your body.  If it hurts, back off.  Running is not going to be comfortable all the time, but if you are getting an injury it is best to pay attention and take time off.
 

8. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else.  I think we’ve all made this mistake.  I know I really did before I had kids. I wanted to be as fast as everyone else.  I was down on myself because I thought I should be doing better than I was. 
 

9. Have fun!  Well, maybe not fun, but eventually you will start to enjoy it.  Or enjoy crossing the finish line.
 

10. Learn about running how you learn best.  If you are like me and like to read everything in sight, get the magazine and read the blogs. If you like to talk about things to learn about then, talk to a friend who is a runner.  But only if you really, really want to hear about it.
 

11. Which brings us to number eleven .  No one is as interested in your running as you are.  Maybe your mom or your best friend.  Most people will ask you about running and about ten seconds later their eyes will glaze over and the “you’re boring the shit out of them, but you can’t stop” alarm will go off in your head. 


Come on, are you going to let those miles go unrun?
And yes, once I again, I said ten and wrote eleven.  What can I say; I have a lot to say! 

Your reward for all that hard work is getting really, really sweaty.

No comments:

Post a Comment